…about 14 years apx. ago in fact, I was babysitting my baby brother who was playing on the floor along with my younger sister. He was playing with the phone cord and could not crawl or anything, but by wiggling the phone cord managed to get a small bottle of what is called “Fray Check” off the filing drawers and grabbed it.
Being an inquisitive infant as most are, he squeezed it and got a direct hit in his eye!
There was no way to reach our mother- no cell phones then in our family, so we called poison control who had never heard of the stuff, but instructed us to rinse his eye for 10 min straight, I think it was.
He screamed for the entire 10 minutes and was so tired as were we that he fell asleep and we never forgot it!
So, why am I telling this story now? Am I simply boring you with the story of what can happen to infants tended by sisters? Sad to say, no!
Last night, two little boys got out of bed and managed to get a hold of the tube of the same brand, but the same stuff. The one boy managed to squirt into the eye and hair of the other boy and great screaming ensued! Mom, who was “highly trained” in this art of taking care of such matters proceeded to rinse his eye for 15 min. (the container said 15) then called the doctor at home, then poison control, which said I did everything right and to rest the eye with a cold compress. They now had Fray Check in the system (I wonder if from 14 years ago) and said there is nothing corrosive in it, but just rubbing alcohol and nylon in it, so just the rinsing worked well with a cold compress afterwards to rest to etc.
So that was the end of my exciting evening…thankfully it ended well!